Monday, February 9, 2009

Luke's field trip


On Wednesday I went with Luke and his first grade class to see the musical play "Click, Clack, Moo, Cows That Type" at the Oregon Children's Theater in Portland. (This is Luke mooing with a cow!! And this is he and I at the theater.) We rode on a big yellow school bus for thirty minutes!! We got to see a motorcycle cop pull over a car on the Glenn Jackson Bridge, a highlight of the trip for Luke and Ben the other boy in our group. We were a little worried when we hit some traffic but it soon thinned out as we passed a fender bender and another police officer!! Manuevering a school bus in downtown Portland was interesting with its narrow streets and construction. But we finally arrived at the theater with busloads of other first graders. The theater was full!! It was fun and a cute play.
I was quietly sitting on the bus for the ride home and as I listened to other chaperones and began to look around I noticed that besides the bus driver, I was the only person on the bus that was over 35 years old!! And I bet most of them were even under 30!! There were about 45 first graders and probably 12 adults with parents and teachers. They were talking about their facebook pages and texting and girls night out at the clubs. I was feeling very old. To add to it Luke's teacher who has been out on maternity leave until this month gave me a name tag with Mildred on it!! So I had an old name to go with my feeling old. I had about decided that maybe I would let other parents go on the next field trip. But as I tucked Luke in to bed that night he wrapped his arms around my neck and said, "Thanks for going with me to the play today mom. It was fun being with you." So I pretty sure I'll be signing up for the zoo field trip!! Millie

4 comments:

The VIPs said...

I LOVE that book. It came out while I was working at Barnes and Noble and we all bought a copy. So funny.

MaudieV said...

Isn't being a mother a wonderful thing? AFter looking at your page and Becky's it made me homesick to the sound of children. And, it keeps you young when your children are running with other children with younger mothers. Your children think you are the same age as their friends parents. Its a wonderful deal.

donnaR said...

I have the opposite problem. Years ago I remember seeing a women with a 10 year old son and thinking. She's too old to have a son that young, it must be her grandson. I'm sure her gray hair made her look older than she was. At that point I decided I wouldn't let my hair go gray until after my kids were gone...but life happens and I was gray before my youngest turned 10. Now I am RS pres. in a ward of older women. This is my first time doing this. My counselors, and secretary are as old as my mother and have all done this before if not more than once. Women in the ward say things like, "your young" implying that I don't know what I'm doing. I have gotten so that I roll my eyes tug at my gray hair and say, "I did earn this you know"

Hannah said...

That looks like it was so fun! And I don't think you're old, and I'm glad you don't have a facebook, you know how much that bugs me. No matter how old you get, you'll still be young and my best friend! love you!