Monday, May 23, 2011

I know it does not look like much.....

Okay, so how many of you out there have been to Wendell, Idaho, you know,the Hub of Magic Valley? It may not look like much but every time I head to Rexburg or Provo I go by these signs. And a flood of memories come to me. Wendell is where my mom and dad grew up and where they met working in a grocery store owned by both of my grandfathers at some time. It is where we went for every Christmas and Easter and Thanksgiving until I was 6 and we moved to Alaska. It is where I made a quilt with my grandmother, ate crabapples with salt and corn on the cob with Maudie and played under the weeping willow tree. Where I would walk down to meet grandpa on his way home from work and get an ice cream cone (don't tell grandma!). It is where I tried to ride a unicycle and played for hours up stairs in the little kitchen. At one time my grandparents lived next door to each other and I would go over to the store and always get a treat from grandpa Doc (don't tell mom!). Wendell is where Rob and I would pull off the visit the Mechams and grandpa would fix us tacos. And it is where we would go to visit Maudie and Rick and family (some of our favorite people in the whole world). One day at work I opened a check from a business in Wendell. My employer asked if I knew where Wendell was. I said you mean the Hub of Magic Valley? Of course I know where it is. Recently at Cub scouts my fellow wolf den leader showed up in a sweatshirt that said Bliss HS. I said the Bliss by Wendell? She said how do you know Wendell? It is a small world and amazing how much a small town can mean to someone! Millie

1 comment:

MaudieV said...

I loved your post and love Wendell as well. It carries a lot of memories. We (Ari & Lyric) are hosting the Willard Reunion in Wendell this year. It's called "Back to our Roots" and I am actually looking forward to it.
Crazy!